Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Natural Born...?

Natural born...

Jenna Talackova being disqualified from the Miss Universe Canada competition is making headlines this week and creating a lot of controversy in the process.  The pageant officials state that Ms. Talackova is NOT a natural born female because she was designated male at birth.

What is natural born?

The forums and comments sections of online news groups are running amok with people arguing what natural born really means.

I err on the side of natural born meaning what comes to you, as a sentient being, naturally.

My son was designated female before he was even born...I had an ultrasound at 5 months because the midwives consistently heard 2 separate heart beats and wanted an ultrasound to confirm that I was not carrying twins (I think about those of two-spirits as I write this, hmmm...) and the technician asked if we wanted to know the sex of our baby because she had a clear view.  Female...not even out the womb and he was pigeon holed.

At his birth, the midwives officially designated him female - it is on an official piece of paper, now!  His father and I never questioned it - in fact, we were in agreement.  We had stocked the drawers full of pretty pink sleepers and outfits.

My son was never confused.  He was a naturally born male and he acted that way from the moment he was able to show us his personality.

I remember his first Christmas, he was just under a year old.  I gave him his first baby doll.  He loved unwrapping it.  He loved helping me figure out how to get all the ties keeping it in the box off.  I handed him the doll and he immediately began slamming its head onto the ground.  He gave me a weird look and threw it back and me and toddled over to the Barbie suitcase his sister had gotten...he zipped and unzipped it.  He quickly figured out the release to pull the handle out - in, out, in out.  He rolled it around, stopping here and there to fill it with knicknacks, small gifts and stocking stuffers.  He played ALL day with that suitcase - it worked.  The doll did not.

He was barely two when he fought me over clothing.  NO PRETTY!

He was naturally born a boy.  No doubts, no questions for him.  None, now, for me.

So, today, there is Jenna, who is being discriminated against because someone - someone who did not know her and never took the time to get to know her - designated her a male all those years ago.

Yet, with the support of her family, community and the medical establishment, today Jenna can live her life as a woman - heck, even compete in Miss Universe!

Thank you, Jenna.  Thank you for putting yourself out there, sharing your story and being classy about it all.  Thank you for enlightening a few people - a few less ignorants for my son to come across in his life.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment